Wednesday 9 September 2015

Rob Ryan at Yorkshire Sculpture Park


Yesterday, on an extremely dreary Tuesday, me and my friend Jenny (check out her Instagram, she's a fab artist) headed out to Yorkshire Sculpture Park to check out Rob Ryan's current exhibition, made up of various paper cut, laser cut and screenprinted pieces.


- -

There were plenty of lovely pieces to marvel at that all varied in size – some smaller than A4, and one that stretched almost the entirety of a wall – but all demonstrated the fantastic precision and character that Rob Ryan's work is known for. It's easy to see past the skill that goes into every single piece as they're all so deceptively simple, but upon closer inspection of Rob's hand cut pieces you can see the sheer amount of work that is required, as tiny, slightly jagged edges remind you that the pieces were laboriously hand cut, with patience, skill and precision. 

-

Previous to visiting the exhibition, I'd only ever seen Rob's work online, so it really was a delight to see it up close and personal and really let myself appreciate how fantastically skilled Rob is as both a designer and a craftsman, and I'd really recommend going for a look if you're interested in Rob's work – you'll see it in an entirely new light. 


In addition to marvelling at Rob's work, I also marvelled at the idea of being such a fantastically renowned illustrator/designer. The pieces varied in price from around £20 - £10,000+ dependent upon the size and production of the pieces, and it made me realise the true worth of art. Of course as I stand I couldn't be further away from Rob's level of popularity of expertise, but seeing the price of original pieces did make me question how I perceive and value myself as an illustrator, which I think can only be a positive thing. 

After chatting with my friend Jenny about commissioned work and building that upon conversations I've previously had online, it became apparent to me that illustrators, designers and artists so often undervalue themselves, and I really think it's such a shame. Of course I'm not providing any solutions to this long standing problem, but I think open discussions about the issue can only help in educating the masses, and exhibitions like this which are open to the public I feel help to both extend and start conversations about art and pricing amongst those who may otherwise not have a clue, which I feel makes it an effective tool for helping to build respect for the artists, designers and illustrators that literally slave over their work. You would never question an asking price from a builder, plumber, electrician etc., so hopefully with continued dialogue perhaps one day the stigma around the price of art will too cease to be questioned.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a lovely exhibition and I think you've mentioned something really important at the end of your article! I'd never heard of Rob Ryan before and I have to say these beautiful impressions you posted on here do remind me of your own work, something about the style and atmosphere is quite similar. :)

    darjeelingtealeaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, well that's definitely a huge compliment – thank you VERY much, hehe! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so close to the YSP but never been!! I think me and a couple of uni friends were thinking of going there soon to see this exhibition. I really admire his techniques but I don't think his work is for me- I still want to see it up close though! Great point about pricing... it's upsetting how people are quick to dismiss all of the efforts and imagination we put in to our own creations. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? That's surprised me, actually! Yep, it really is! It's really strange how art's become this thing that people don't want to pay for, or think is overpriced.

      Delete
  3. I do have to say that my stepdad is an electrician and people regularly try and undercut him or refuse to pay after the job is done so unfortunately undervalue of work is something that happens across ALL trades. But I completely agree with how wrong it is, and it's so disheartening as an artist to slog away at something that's earning you less than minimum wage. People really seem to resent artists earning money on the basis that "you enjoy drawing, so draw this for me" as if drawing is easy and we don't have bills to pay too. Sorry to rant, but you really struck upon something that drives me barmy and like you I do hope that people will start to respect the work that we do.

    I've never heard of Rob Ryan, but I've definitely seen his work online before. Whilst it's not for me, I can really appreciate the level of work that goes in to each piece and I'll bet they're amazing to see in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than minimum wage – I couldn't have phrased it better myself! It really is disheartening, especially to have been through three (expensive) years of university to come out of it struggling to make a living using your degree. I suppose what it ultimately comes down to is your love for your discipline, and you'll only push through and succeed with it if it's truly what you enjoy doing.

      Delete