Wednesday 2 September 2015

(A Weary) Hello, September


We're 2 days into September and already I feel bogged under by all the 'Hello September/Autumn' posts – what is wrong with all you folk seemingly being so glad to see the back of summer?! For me, September's a sad time because it marks the end of summer, and the beginning of what feels like a lifetime of dark mornings and cold, rainy days. 


For the last few years I've noticed that I'm considerably more miserable from October until around March, and only recently found out that I'm not alone in feeling down, as Seasonal Affective Disorder (or SAD) is something that a lot of people struggle with as the leaves turn brown and the weather drops colder. So, to welcome in the beginning of the end of 2015, I doodled up my own 'Hello September' illustration in the form of what I'm now calling Septembear, who shares the same anxiety for the coming months as I do – perhaps not too fitting as I imagine any regular bear would hibernate throughout the worst of the year. If only!

Not only does Septembear embody my current feelings, but it's (I've no idea if it's male or female yet!) also the first character that I've thought up for a while that I think may have a genuine future as a creative project. The colder months are a challenge for me, but I'm hoping that this year I'll be able to successfully overcome any intense negativity or sadness and fight through them positively, and I feel that Septembear could be a fabulous outlet for anything that I may experience or learn over the next few months. 

4 comments:

  1. I feel you. Even though I do in fact like autumn, I feel like summer's gone too fast. And I'd really like to hug Septembear and tell him it's going to get better again.

    darjeelingtealeaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Septembear would appreciate that a lot – thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely bear. I hate the fact that summer's over, too, ended up in the first massive rainstorm of the year today and how can people like this?!

    www.lemontierres.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sjoukje! And I've no idea, it truly baffles me. What a miserable transitional period!

      Delete