Wednesday 25 June 2014

micellar water: a love/hate relationship



so, it took me a while to jump on the micellar water bandwagon, but i finally got there. i've been using superdrug's 'b' offering for just over a month now, so i thought i'd drop by to talk about how i've been getting on with it.

being new to cleansing waters, i wasn't quite sure what to expect, but i was pleasantly surprised by how quickly and easily this removes your makeup; one cotton pad for each eye and then one all over my face tends to do the job. the product information states that it's a 3-in-1 cleanser and cleansing afterwards isn't required, however i like to go in with my dark angels afterwards because i find that the product leaves a slightly oily residue on my skin that isn't all too pleasant to sleep in.

so good so far, right? so why a love/hate relationship? well, it all boils down to the tiny fact that on occasion this product irritates my eyes slightly. i don't know if it's because my eyes are particularly sensitive (scented products usually irritate them) or whether i just occasionally use too much product, but if i'm not careful i find that the product can sting a bit and cause momentary discomfort. nothing too extreme, however it's not the perfect, gentle make up removal that i used to get from make up wipes.

the one negative aside, i'd like to finish by saying that overall i've been extremely impressed with this product. i did wonder just how much good a cleansing water could do for my skin, but it seems to have evened out my skintone somewhat, brightened my complexion and helped me fight off pesky breakouts more effectively; nowadays i'm much more likely to get one or two spots rather than an angry load of them all at once, meaning they're much easier to combat when they do appear. in the above photos you can see that my skin is far from perfect, however aside from a couple of spots on my chin (my problem area, sigh,) my face is practically free of spots. the redness around my cheeks has also reduced significantly, and now i only really find that around my nose and chin is red.

for a reasonable £4.99 and a product that i assume will last around 2 months, i'd be happy to repurchase this again. i am now however intrigued as to what other cruelty free micellar water options there are available, so if you know of any, please do fire away!

2 comments:

  1. I have the garnier cleansing water and I love it! It's a shame this one irritates your eyes, I haven't found the garnier one to so this to me so maybe you should give this one a go ones yours runs out? It's the same price as well :)

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately garnier aren't cruelty free, so they're a no go for me!

      Delete